Discover the full product range
Grasses growing in cricket squares are subject to the most brutal growing conditions. From cold, heavy soils at the start of the playing season and the requirement for very close mowing, often without sufficient incremental height reductions, to heavy rolling and little chance of optimum establishment in deteriorating weather conditions following end of season renovation; such conditions take their toll.
However, help is at hand. Our breeding and applied research programme is producing innovative new cultivars that provide real benefits when it comes to improved playing performance, maintenance and renovation for cricket squares.
Improvements in perennial ryegrass breeding over the last couple of decades have seen this species become the default choice for wicket maintenance in the UK and for good reason. Fast establishment, growth and recovery with little thatch production are all key elements in producing a consistent and lively surface.
But with well over 100 amenity cultivars in the BSPB Turfgrass Seed list alone, making an informed choice is a difficult process.
Trusting in a company with an international breeding and research programme to make that choice for you is therefore a good start point. At Barenbrug, we rigorously test our varieties, and know in detail which cultivars and in which combination offer the best chance of performing well in this extreme environment.
Here are some of the key characteristics we identify when formulating our BAR EXTREME blend for cricket squares:
- Fast establishment in cool soil temperature conditions to help with renovation, both post- and pre-season
- High shoot density to prevent weed ingress
- High root density to minimise breaking and cracking
- Tolerance of close mowing to cope with significant height reduction
- Cleanness of cut and no crowning, which is essential for safe and consistent play
- Fast recovery after stress to save time and energy during the season